We don’t wait to get treatment when diagnosed with chronic diseases like diabetes, cancer, heart problems, etc. Then why don’t we consider mental health a severe issue that needs to be resolved as soon as possible? Mental fitness is vital to physical health. If you’re mentally ill, you can’t perform your physical tasks properly.
Express Tele Docs considers your mental health as essential as your physical health. We believe in treating mental health disorders before they reach severe conditions. We aim to initiate treatment before stage 4 mental illness. Our clients are valuable to us. We take them like humans, not just patients.
Mental health is a cluster of our emotional, psychological and social well-being. It defines our thoughts, feelings, and actions. It also affects our stress handling abilities, interactions with others, and decision-making capacity. Mental health is vital for everyone, regardless of their age. Even a child can also suffer from mental health issues.
Mental health and Mental illness:
Mental illness is quite different from mental health. A person with poor mental health is not always mentally ill. Correspondingly, a mentally ill person can be diagnosed with several physical, psychological and social well-being issues.
Types of Mental illness:
There are several types of mental illnesses. Includes,
- Anxiety disorders
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Bipolar affective disorder
Causes of mental illness:
There are several causes of mental illness. There could be different reasons for mental disorders in other cases. Some reasons are following,
- Use of alcohol or drugs
- May suffered from any adverse life experience such as trauma and abuse.
- Chemical imbalance in the brain
- Ongoing medications
How common are mental illnesses?
Mental illness and poor mental health are major prevailing issues in the United States.
According to the latest statistics from the National Institute of Mental Health disorders, part of the National Institute of Health shows that,
- About 26% of Americans, age 18 or above, suffer from mental illness disorders.
- Several mental health disorders also severely affect the established market economy in the USA.
- The markets’ most prevailing mental health issues are manic depression (bipolar disorder), major depression (clinical depression), schizophrenia, and obsessive-compulsive disorder.
- Some people are suffering from multiple mental health disorders at a given time.
- About 9.5% of American adults age 18 or above will suffer from depressive illness.
- The mental health disorders ratio is higher in women than in men in the age of early or mid-20s.
- People with diagnosed mental health disorders commit suicide mostly.
- About 1% of Americans have schizophrenia.
- Approximately 18% of people ages 18-54 suffer from anxiety disorders.
Is mental health important for overall health?
Physical and mental health are always inter-relatable. A healthy body has a healthy mind and vice versa. Poor mental health will also affect your physical health and result in diseases like diabetes, heart issues, etc. Similarly, chronic diseases such as cancer can increase the risk for mental illness.
Train your mind to accept the realities and say ‘it’s Ok’ in any unwanted situation. Because if you try to fight or deny the fact, it will develop stress. Learn to say ‘it’s Ok,’ and start the work again with a fresh mind. It’s the key to success.
Take care of your mental health on your own:
Along with the psychiatrist’s suggestions and treatment, you should yourself try to take care of your mental health by adapting behaviors, including,
- Talk about your feelings.
- Keep yourself active
- Eat healthy food
- Take a break
- Accept who you are and follow your dreams.
- Don’t be shy to ask for help from a doctor or friends.
- Do self-care
Above are some of the strategies to follow by which you can feel the noticeable difference in your mental health. It’s not shameful if you have any mental health disorder. Just accept it and try your best to be a better version of yourself.