Sore throat is a condition of discomfort, pain, and scratchiness in your throat. The pain becomes worse when you swallow something. Most commonly, sore throat is caused by the virus, and it heals on its own. However, bacteria can also cause a sore throat termed strep throat (streptococcal infection).
Approximately 13 million people suffer from sore throats each year. Healthcare professionals of ExpressTeleDoc prescribe you the most proficient medications after a proper examination of your throat. Appropriate treatment will help lower the pain and scratchiness in your throat until you recover entirely.
Types of sore throat:
A sore throat can be of three different types, according to the anatomy of the throat. Includes,
- Pharyngitis is inflammation of the pharynx_the area right behind the month.
- Tonsillitis refers to inflammation of tonsils_two oval-shaped pads of tissues at the back of the throat.
- Laryngitis refers to the swollen voice box (larynx); inflammation occurs due to overuse, irritation, or infection.
Symptoms of sore throat:
You will suffer from the following symptoms in sore throat. Including,
- Experience pain when swallowing something
- Dryness and scratchiness
- The feeling of burning in the throat
- Irritation in the throat
- White patches on tonsils
- Fever and chills
- Inflamed lymph nodes
In the case of viral infection specifically, the symptoms will include,
- Runny nose
- Pink eye
- Hoarseness, raspy or strained voice
Causes of sore throat:
There can be different causes for a sore throat. Includes,
The following are different viruses responsible for sore throat. Includes,
- Common cold virus
- Influenza virus_flu
- Measles virus is an illness that causes redness in the throat and fever.
- Mumps virus causes inflammation of salivary glands.
A throat infection caused by bacteria is termed strep throat. The causative agent of strep throat is group A streptococci.
When our immune system reacts to allergens like pollen, pet dander, and grass, a chemical is released, which causes nasal congestion, tearing, irritation in the throat, etc.
Exposure to irritants:
- There can be different irritants. Includes,
- Dry air
- Cigarette smoke and other smoke
- Air pollution
- Cleaning products and other chemicals
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD):
It is a condition in which the acid from the stomach moves back to the food pipe (esophagus). It burns the esophagus and throat, which causes sore throat symptoms.
When to visit a doctor?
In case of exaggerated symptoms like,
- Severe sore throat
- Blood in saliva
- Trouble breathing
- Swollen joints and stiff neck
- High fever (above 101 degree Fahrenheit)
After a physical examination of your throat, the doctor will prescribe the medicines related to the problem. In some cases, the doctor will also swab your throat. In case of strep throat, antibiotics will be given to you, but if you have a sore throat caused by a virus, it will heal within 7-10 days.